The Fund for Investigative Journalism, which provides grants and support to journalists for groundbreaking investigative stories that have an impact, seeks a Program Associate to provide critical support. This position is a unique opportunity to support journalism that has a significant impact on society while also gaining exposure and skills in the nonprofit sector.
The Fund for Investigative Journalism helps reporters produce stories that would often not be told otherwise. The Fund provides grants and critical support for about 50 unbiased, nonpartisan, high-quality investigative projects a year. Stories produced with the Fund’s support have sparked significant policy reforms at the local, state, federal and global levels and have won virtually every major journalism award, including multiple Pulitzer Prizes. The Fund is governed by a Board of experienced investigative journalists who review and vote on every grant application.
In its 51st year, the Fund is expanding its reach and impact, and it seeks a part-time Program Associate to help support this growth. The Program Associate is a critical support role, responsible for maintaining administrative systems and records, tracking grants and projects, and drafting material. The Program Associate reports to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Track the work of grantees; monitor completion and impact; maintain spreadsheets of current and past grants and ongoing impact; produce reports on grants.
- Coordinate, track and maintain records on other support the Fund provides to grantees, such as mentorship and legal assistance.
- Maintain the Fund’s organizational files (both physical and electronic), including policies, proposals, reports, correspondence, Board material and archival information.
- Maintain organizational calendar with key events and deadlines.
- Manage database of donors and constituents.
- Correspond with grantees and applicants as needed.
- Draft articles and other content about grantees’ work and FIJ’s programs for website, newsletters, funder reports and other purposes.
- Process payments to grantees and vendors.
- Assist with developing and posting website and social media content and strategy as needed.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director as needed.
Professional skills required:
Exceptional organizational skills are essential. Other key capacities include: ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously; comfort working both collaboratively and independently; ability to balance multiple short-term tasks with longer-term projects; and strong writing skills.
Technology skills/knowledge required:
Advanced knowledge of Excel and WordPress is essential. Familiarity with Google’s full suite of cloud-based operations is also required. Familiarity with Quickbooks is preferred.
- Experience in journalism is strongly preferred.
- Two or more years of experience in operational or support roles is required.
- Experience writing quickly, clearly and effectively is required.
- This is a part-time position (20 hours a week), paying approximately $22 an hour, or a rate commensurate with experience.
- Compensation includes contribution to health insurance coverage through a small-business health reimbursement plan, as well as paid time off.
- The position is ideally located in Washington, DC, but there is flexibility for candidates who would work remotely from other locations.
- People of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter and resume to FIJstaffing@gmail.com.