The Fund for Investigative Journalism seeks Director of Operations
The Fund for Investigative Journalism (FIJ) helps fund groundbreaking investigative stories that otherwise would not be told. Founded in 1969, FIJ makes grants to independent investigative journalists who have great tips, ideas, and sources, but need financial resources to do their work.
FIJ is governed by a board of experienced investigative journalists. It is an organization of journalists helping journalists by raising the funds that make independent watchdog reporting possible.
To help meet the growing needs of investigative journalists who work independently, without the resources or protection of media organizations and newsrooms, FIJ is hiring a Director of Operations.
The Director of Operations oversees all office operations and procedures to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency and reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Track the work of grantees, monitor project completion and outcomes.
- Identify and summarize successful work by grantees for use in FIJ publications and donor communications.
- Promote grantees’ work on FIJ website, through social media and stakeholder communications.
- Design, write and publish FIJ newsletter.
- Help attract high-quality applications from investigative reporters by promoting FIJ’s work at journalism conferences and by other means.
- Help manage and continually refine the grant award process.
- Manage application deadlines; process applications for review by the board.
- Design and execute improvements to enhance services to grantees and ensure financial sustainability of the organization.
Operations / Administration
- Maintain and troubleshoot website or supervise vendor. Keep website content updated and suggest improvements.
- Assist executive director with bookkeeping and financial reports, board communications and meeting logistics, minutes and documents. Record and maintain board minutes.
- Assist executive director with administrative functions and maintenance of filing system.
- Work with executive director on strategic planning and governance issues.
- Maintain an office calendar of deadlines for fundraising, partnerships and donor reporting, as well as for the grant application process.
- Track and maintain donor database; prepare correspondence with donors.
- Help write foundation grant proposals and progress reports.
- Help grow and maintain relationships with stakeholders such as fellowship and diversity initiative partners, freelance and investigative reporting organizations.
- Assist in re-tooling FIJ’s mentoring program.
Other duties as required.
Professional skills required: Strong organizational, writing, and technology skills, including social media. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate organization’s mission and fundraising goals to potential supporters, in person and in writing. Proficiency in Word and Excel. Familiarity with or willingness to learn basic Quickbooks functions.
Specific technology requirements: Must demonstrate experience with or willingness to learn: WordPress to update Website and troubleshoot occasional issues with platform and plug-ins, HTML and PHP coding language to troubleshoot customized FIJ theme, image-editing software, ability to generate PDF and email newsletters, and Photoshop or equivalent to edit images.
General technology requirements: Successful applicant would be the chief technology expert for FIJ, able to juggle technological issues with projects and administrative duties that advance FIJ’s mission. Must be familiar with file-sharing systems.
The ideal candidate is experienced in handling a broad range of administrative and executive support tasks, is flexible, and able to work independently. With proper technical support, the candidate may work remotely on occasion.
Experience: 5 years experience in nonprofit management, communications and/or fundraising preferred.
Terms: Part-time position (20 hours/week) with health insurance benefits; potential for full-time as organization grows.
The Fund for Investigative Journalism is an equal opportunity employer.
Deadline to apply: Friday, May 26, 2017
Send cover letter and resume to Sandy Bergo, executive director, at Fundfijresumes@gmail.com, with subject heading: Director of Operations position.